Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Oh Happy Day

The big chunky die cuts in the Maggie Holmes Confetti ephemera package are so fun to use.  I love the font, and the gold foil.
These photos were perfect for the sentiment.  I usually use very thin double sided tape to adhere these types of cuts, but thought it would add a fun touch to the design to use my sewing machine to stitch straight through it instead.

One of the best things about Paper Camellia kits is that you can usually combine left over items from one kit with the next kit you receive.  Those gold Heidi Swapp numbers are a perfect example, with touches of gold in the April kit, it made it easy to decide what I had in my stash to use to add the date.  And those gold stickers from the My Mind's Eye sticker pack are so versatile.  I've used them in a few different way on my layouts this month.   Here I've added some 3D foam adhesive to the underside to give them some dimension off the page, then topped them with some enamel dots from my stash.

Clustering is possibly my favourite way to design a page.  Gathering little groups of randomly sized pieces create the perfect clusters.  The key to great layering, is to ensure each piece is a different shape and size from the rest.  In this section alone you can see 7 different layers.  Had I used 8 different layers of the exact same shape my cluster would look more like a bulky mess than this, simply because rather than creating movement to your page, your eye remains fixed, as though it is trapped in that one bulky spot.  

If you struggled with layering, perhaps this is the help you need to break out and try it again. Be sure to share you work with us in our Gallery, we'd love to leave you a little love.

Thanks for stopping by today friends! Pin It

3 comments:

Leanne said...

your title says it all! adorable! I love this LO...x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeeee this!!! And agree with Leanne ... ADORABLE is right!!!!!!!!

Leslie Germain said...

Another beautiful page!!! Love seeing your work. And I think I just used that wood paper on one of my layouts (or paper that is similar). :)