Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Wall Transformation

As much as I love making 12x12 pieces of paper look pretty with photos, patterned paper, trim, lace, buttons, stickers, and other embellishments, I can't manage to make a wall look pretty.  Or just about anything else in my house for that matter.  I love tidy, and neat, and classic clean looking.  No nicknacks. no clutter.  All that neat and tidy however leaves me no imagination of how pretty and colourful a space can look.  I'm terrible at it.  I always get a little self conscience when certain friends of mine come over.  You know the ones, who homes look all cute and well decorated, with little bursts of colour here and there.  Anyway I had an idea for a photo collage to put in our family room.  You know those photos we took last weekend.  I wasn't sure how to get all the frames evenly spaced, and level on the wall, but with a little help from a friend I figured out a plan of action to cover the really big space of uncovered wall behind our couch.

What I did was measure out the wall space, then taped a couple of big pieces of packing paper together to measure the same size, and laid them out on the floor.  I then laid out all my frames on the paper, and played around with the layout a few times until I found one I liked.  I left it on floor for the day, checking back on it a few times just to make sure I was happy with it.  The next day I filled the frames with the photos, then traced the frames on the paper, and cut out each shape.
I then hung the large piece of paper with the cut outs on the wall above the couch, then adhered the frames to the wall being sure to center them in their proper cut out spots.
No nails for me, here either.  Since I've discovered 3M velcro adhesives that's all we use around here now.  They're great.  Easy to use, and easy to remove, while keeping your paint intact.

And here's what it looks like now (I apologize in advance for the glare, it was either glare from the flash, or glare from the sun, I choose the sun).
Much better right?!  Now I've decided that the white mat in the center frame needs a makeover too.  I'm thinking one of the greyish papers from the new My Mind's Eye Lost and Found II may do the trick.  I'll see if I can pick it up at my crop this weekend.  Sorry I've nothing scrappy to share with you today.  I made a card for a friend, but gave it away before taking a photo, I do that a lot unfortunately.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back to scrapping soon.  Like I mentioned there's a crop coming up this weekend with the lovely Sharon of The Scrapbook Cottage in Steinbach.  Can't wait to hang with my scrappy friends, gaining inspiration, and catching up on each other's lives.  Oh, and maybe even get some scrapping done sometime over the 48 hours.  I have a mini album in mind.

Thanks for popping in friends, have a good day.

♥ S. Pin It

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love your photo collage!!!!! I think it looks great and adds so much to your wall and home!!!
e.

xoxo... t said...

This is awesome, Sherri :)