Friday, October 19, 2012

How To Make A Pie Chart

Here is a post I shared over at the Scrapping Everyday Miracles Blog.  I thought perhaps some of you may be interested in it also, so here it is for your viewing pleasure.

I learned a new technique recently that I am excited to be sharing with you today.  I'm going to show you a quick and easy way to make a pie chart.  For use as a quick and easy embellishment on your layouts.  It's my understanding that if you have a Silhouette Cameo this technique can be done even quicker.  If, like me you don't have one to speed things up, this way will work just fine too.

I knew I wanted to have several charts in different sizes, so I pulled out my trusty old Creating Memories circle cutting tools.  And a scrap piece of 12x12 packaging.
 Using plates or bowls, or jar bases, or anything of the like will work perfectly also.
After I had all my circles cut out I divided them up like pieces of a pie (hence the name, go figure).

Using a ruler find the center point on your circle draw a line from one side to the other.  Rotate the circle, and do the same thing on the reverse side so you have a big "+" sign smack dab in the middle reaching from side to side.  Once yo have the "+" continue dividing up the circle leaving about one inch or so in between lines.  Your circles should now look like this.
Notice I made one pie chart off centered
Once you have all your pie charts divided up, it's important to number each sliver of the pie from #1 up.  This will help greatly in the re-assmebly.
 
Here, because I have so many sizes I used a system to remeber which slice went with which pie.  The largest circle is numbered 1lg (large) to 8lg.  The medium is number 1 med to 6 med, etc.  Now, because I used an extra piece of packaging which is sturdier than regular card stock, I have several templates to reuse at a later time.  Recycled cereal boxes, and the like would work excellently also.

Now all you need to do is trace the pie pieces onto patterned paper, and reassemble the pie chart.
At this point you can simply reassemble the pie chart directly onto your layout if you wish.  Because I knew I wanted to stitch on mine, I needed to reassemble it onto a scrap piece of cardstock.

Once I had them all reassembled I used my sewing machine to stitch a zig-zag pattern in between each of the pieces.

And here is the layout I came up with using my freshly made pie charts, and a cute quote I discovered on Pinterest.


I told you it was easy.  I hope you've been inspired to give something new a try.  Be sure to link me up if you give this technique a shot.  I'd love to come by and have a peek.

Happy Creating friends! Pin It

13 comments:

Isabelle said...

Super cute, Sherri! Thanks for the great tutorial!!

Debbie P said...

Sherri, I love those pie chart embellishments! So pretty! Thanks for sharing how to make them. I see you have the Creative Memories circle cutters. I have those too, and I love them! Have a great weekend!

Vanessa said...

Okay..first Nicole does a pie chart tutorial..and now you..I definately have to try make one of these tomorrow, I am behind the times!

Sasha Farina said...

i am so excited you're on ChicTags with me!! whoooooohooooo!! can't wait for your vegas stories!

Anonymous said...

How fun is this! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have to try :)

Veronica Milan said...

It's not often that I comment on blogs. Not because I don't love what is on the post but because of time. I just had to comment...I LOVE THIS PAGE!!! ack. So cute Sherri!

Lilith Eeckels said...

FAntastic!!!! Love those pie charts!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhh those pie charts are AMAZING!! I love love love love your lo!! GORGEOUS!!!!

glorygirl said...

GREAT tutorial! Loooove the stitching on those pie charts! Your layout is so sweet and happy! Love the hearts on your banner!

Mag said...

Thanks for the tutorial !
Love this LO !

Diane Payne said...

This is such a cool layout! Thanks for sharing your technique.

Tamika said...

I need the instructions to how to get that sewing machine out and threaded and sewing layouts LOL.Love the layout love the tutorial!!!

Jody said...

Great tutorial Sherri! PIN!!!