Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Olivetti

Thanks to my sweet, and loving mother-in-law, and the help of The Trading Post I now have my very own Olivetti.  Just look at how cute it is.  In great shape, works like a charm and a full ribbon cartridge.  I was so excited when mom opened her trunk to reveal this 30 year old treasure.  Typewriters have been all the rage in the scrapbooking world over the past couple of years.  I mentioned in a previous post how I almost always buck the trend, no matter  what it is, not sure why, I just do.  If you are familiar with my scrapping, you've seen that I hand-write quite frequently on my scrapbook pages.  To me the picture, and the pretty paper isn't what it's all about.  To me, the whole reason that I take the time to arrange my photos in this way is to preserve the memories, record the stories, and leave a legacy for those who come after me.  I believe the journaling is a key element to scrapping.  Sometimes the photo and title really do say it all, but more times than not, there's a story to be told.  Handwriting takes a lot of space, even for those of us who write tiny and neatly.  That's where typewriters come in.  They help to fit a lot of writing into a very small space.  The layout I shared yesterday had a lot of writing on the tags.  I never could have hand written all of that on my own.  There is the option of running my pages and/or tags through my printer.  It works, but is not time efficient, and uses twice the amount of ink as the typewriter, as you must print everything twice.  Once to give you a guide for your tag, and then once again with your tag fixed over the original spot to get the printing exactly where it needs to be on the tag.  I am so happy to have this little guy around.  It fits perfectly on my shelf next to my sewing machine.  I am so thankful to mom for doing the legwork (or I guess in this case phone work, as she received several calls offering up a typewriter for sale), and scoring me this little beauty.  Oh, and the best part ... it was FREE.  That's right.  It turns out the woman who called ended up being someone mom knew from back in the day.  When this lady found out who mom was wanting it for, and what I was using it for, she offered to simply give it to me.  Let's just say she made my day.  I'm hoping that the gift set of handmade thank you cards she'll be receiving from me will make her day right back.


Have you received any nice little surprises lately?

Thanks for popping in today!

♥ S. Pin It

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That rocks! I have always wanted one myself you are one lucky girl! What a blessing though to get it for free!!!!
Hope your are well! :)
e.

Nicole Nowosad said...

I am so jealous!!! I have been looking for one too!!! congrats!

Tara LeClaire said...

She's beautiful :)

Danielle said...

That is so cool!! Lucky girl :-) Enjoy your new love.

sierrasavannah said...

That's so sweet! I got myself a typewriter a while ago and use it all the time. Sure is handy:) And yours is especially cute!

Unknown said...

it is so cool - have fun playing

Lilith Eeckels said...

OKAY now I am jealous!!!!

glorygirl said...

Awesome!!! I have a typewriter I picked up (cheap) at an antique store. Finding ribbon is the tricky part. Celebrating with you on such a great find!!!

Tamika said...

That is SO cool Sheri and what an awesome color!! I saw one of those on One Kings Lane today you're lucky, enjoy!

Alex said...

I am sooooo jealous!!! Have fun! :-)

Anonymous said...

SWEET Sherri...we were just talking about you getting typewriter a couple of weeks ago! Jealous! Enjoy!