Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Waiting for change

Living in Manitoba, Canada is always a test of patience and endurance when it comes to ushering out winter and welcoming in Spring.  Winter is a terribly long 6 months at a minimum here.  It's a long, sunless, frigidly cold stretch.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with that depth of cold we endure here, let me enlighten you.  It gets to temperatures as low as -42 degrees celcius.   The wind is so strong that it's actually measured by something called windchill, which maks it feel colder outside than it really is.  It's cold enough that many of us must not only plug our vehicles in, keeping the battery warm, but must also let our vehicle run for several minutes before driving it, to avoid having it stall out moments after leaving the house.  By April there is much conversation about how much longer it will be before the snow melts and the sun is finally here to stay.  By now, everyone in the city is ready for, the change of season.  There are many who are like a friend of mine.  At the first hint of Spring, they begin wearing capris , and flip flops.   I think it's more out of a sense of aggressively willing Spring to come, than actually being too hot for boots and long pants.

On the way home from dropping the girls off at school yesterday morning, I saw these little guys.  I just had to pull over and take a picture. 

I know exactly what they're thinking.  "Hey, I thought Spring was on it's way."
The weather keeps teasing us, Spring is here one day and gone the next.  We hit 18 degrees on Monday.  Now, here we are, two days later sitting at zero, with snow, once again, falling to the ground. These poor geese got the message that Spring was on it's way to Manitoba, only to be slapped in the face with the icy cold reality that Spring is taking it's sweet time in coming.  On the upside, the fact that the warmer weather is only arriving incrementally means there's a lesser chance of major flooding.  There are many, many families in low lying areas of the city near water, and outside the city near the Floodway who are currently working furiously to prepare for a possible flood.  Just a short drive from our home one can see hundreds of sandbags piled high surrounding home after home.   The sight is a sobering reminder that although I want and need more sunshine in my day, and warmer temps to fill the air.  Others want and need mother nature to be kind, slow and steady in bringing on change.  It makes me think of the new Heaven and new Earth that scripture speaks of in Revelation 21:1-8.  That will happen in a blink of an eye, and as much as I long to meet Jesus, and to see the beauty of Heaven, I don't feel quite ready.  I don't want to be like these geese, thinking that I'm prepared, just sitting around waiting for Jesus' return, not using my skills, and resources to make a difference in the world around me.  I want to be more like those living near the water, preparing their home, and their families for the possibility of change.  I want to be reminded that there's still work to do, that God has a plan for me, and wants to affect change in the world around me, through me.  I want to be at work, not idle.  I want to be living out the reality Romans 12.  Spring will come when it's time, and I will continue to follow the call of Jesus on my life, regardless of the windchill factor, the snow currently falling outside, and regardless of the fact that my summer wardrobe is still waiting to be unpacked for another season. 

May you be warmed by the love of Christ wherever you are today, being warmed by the kisses of the sun, or preparing to battle the rising water.

♥S. Pin It

1 comment:

Pam said...

Beautifully written post. And if I could box up sunshine I would most definitely send some your way!!!